Friday, April 13, 2012

A New Favorite

I can always tell when a new recipe is a hit by how little of the meal is left the next day. Last night's Veggie Baked Ziti was a new favorite of Christopher's. He made up his mind before he even tasted it, silly goose.

I especially like this baked ziti because it has so many different types of veggies in it. It's great for the same reason Rainy Day Soup is great, you can use up all of those left over vegetables in your fridge! I didn't make as many quesadillas as I expected (turns out they're more filling than they look) so I had a lot of squash and zucchini left over. Combine that with my recent craving for baked ziti and I give you Veggie Baked Ziti!

Veggie Baked Ziti
What You Need:

  • 2 cups uncooked ziti
  • 1 large summer squash, sliced
  • 1 large zucchini, sliced
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 jar spaghetti sauce (I used a garden medley sauce)
  • 1 package (vegan) mozzarella cheese
The Process: 
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and cook the pasta according to the packaging.
  2. In a heated, oiled skillet add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is soft. 
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, onion and garlic mixture, chopped veggies, spaghetti sauce, and 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese. Mix all together and scoop into a casserole dish. Top with all remaining cheese.
  4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. 
 


Eventually I'll master taking good pictures of casseroles. It's way harder than it looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment