Anyway, this past week I've been on pinterest a bit more and found this recipe for Mexican Stuffed Shells from The Way To His Heart. It was pretty easy to veganize and I'm really glad I did! Two of my favorite types of food combined, really it couldn't be bad. I could not find shells at my grocery though, so I used manicotti instead.
What You Need:
- 1 lb vegetarian crumbles (I used Morning Star but the Boca version is really good too)
- 1 package taco seasoining
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 package manicotti shells
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce (found in the Mexican section)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar & monterey jack cheese mix
- Green onions and sour cream to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the pasta according to the packaging.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, combine the 'meat' crumbles, taco seasoning, and cream cheese. Heat on medium low, stirring occasionally, until the cream cheese melts. Once it melts, remove from heat.
- Once the pasta is cooked through, pour the salsa over the bottom of your casserole dish. Stuff some of the 'meat' mixture into each manicotti/shell and lay them over the salsa. Pour the taco sauce over the pasta and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Top with the cheese and bake for another 20 minutes.