Now on to the sloppy joes! Sloppy joes has always been a favorite of mine. After becoming vegetarian I tried a few different recipes before deciding I preferred lentils for my joes and to make them the way I use to, just with lentils now.
Lentil Sloppy Joes
What You Need:
- 4 cups cooked lentils
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4-1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 2 tbsp (vegan) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Whole wheat buns
- The easiest way to prepare for this meal would be to soak the uncooked lentils over night. If you do this, it will only take you about 5 minutes to make this meal. If you choose to cook them the day of, be prepared to let them cook for a couple of hours stove top.
- Chop up the celery and green pepper.
- Once the lentils are ready, add them to a large pan and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the condiments, celery, and green pepper. Mix all together and let sit in the pan until warm.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.