Saturday, April 7, 2012

Sloppy Joes

Before we get to the recipe, I'm excited to say that Chris and I have figured out what we want to do to improve the backyard and it should cost less than $50! We currently have a weird spot that won't grow grass, a dirt pathway, and then another weird spot that won't grow grass. Hopefully we'll be tackling this project next weekend and I can show yall.

Now on to the sloppy joes! Sloppy joes has always been a favorite of mine. After becoming vegetarian I tried a few different recipes before deciding I preferred lentils for my joes and to make them the way I use to, just with lentils now.

Lentil Sloppy Joes
What You Need:

  • 4 cups cooked lentils
  • 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
  • 3/4-1 1/4 cups ketchup
  • 2 tbsp (vegan) Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • Whole wheat buns
The Process:
  1. The easiest way to prepare for this meal would be to soak the uncooked lentils over night. If you do this, it will only take you about 5 minutes to make this meal. If you choose to cook them the day of, be prepared to let them cook for a couple of hours stove top. 
  2. Chop up the celery and green pepper.
  3. Once the lentils are ready, add them to a large pan and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the condiments, celery, and green pepper. Mix all together and let sit in the pan until warm. 
  4. Serve on toasted hamburger buns. 

10 comments:

  1. I've made them with TVP (back in my vegetarian days), but I really think I like the idea of using the lentils better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple, healthy, and delicious. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rogene, I tried it with TVP before too. I was just not a fan of the texture. And it wasn't sloppy enough for me, haha

    Aunt B, I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks perfect! Awesome job! Thanks for Linking up at Show Me What You Got Tuesday's @ ODH http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-9.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys LOVE sloppy joes. Thanks for the great recipe! And thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm focusing on lentils today on my foodie friday linky. This is a perfect example of how versatile they are. Please share this with us. I will pin this too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these look amazing! I have recently started cooking a lot more with lentils so I am going to give these a try! Thanks for sharing!
    heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy! We heart sloppy joes too! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many does this serve? Thanks
    Rebecca @ heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually make around 8 sloppy joes with a single batch.

      Delete