Tonight, Christopher made dinner because I was nervous about it. We had an adaption of Spicy Beans on Baked Sweet Potato from Vegetarian: Tasty Recipes for Every Day. I am sad to say I have never cooked a sweet potato before. After watching Chris do it, I now know it is way easy and I can't believe I was afraid to cook this.
Spicy Beans on Baked Sweet Potato
What You Need:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 13 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- (vegan) Sour cream and (vegan) shredded cheddar cheese for toppings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Rinse the sweet potatoes, add slits with a knife and place them on a baking tray. Bake for 1-1.5 hours, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and spices, and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato, stock, vegetables and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat slightly, and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, cut the cooked sweet potatoes in half lengthways. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the top. Finish it off with the sour cream and cheddar cheese.