Thursday, March 1, 2012

Campus Is Slacking

I had lunch on my university's campus with one of my littles, Lisette, today. It was great to see her and catch up! However, the vegan options at Chili's Too were limited. Actually, just one thing. A house salad with oil & vinegar dressing. No joke. So, since I wasn't feeling only eating a salad, I cheated and ate potato soup. I'm not too upset. Since coming to college a few years ago my campus has made huge strides to offer more vegetarian options, I can't really expect them to go from 0-60 in a snap.

After lunch, my day was long and busy. I had classes and the internship, then it was grocery day. Needless to say, I did not feel like making the fancy meal I had planned on for tonight. Instead, I cooked another 15 minute meal that turned out really well! It definitely helped ease the Alfredo craving I had last week. This one is from Vegetarian: Tasty Recipes for Every Day. Yea, they got real creative with that title, but it has had some winners in it. Again, I took some liberties with the recipe so what I have here is not exactly how it reads in the book.

Fettuccine Zucchini

What You Need
  • 1 lb fettuccine
  • 2 oz butter (I used margarine, I keep forgetting to find vegan butter)
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 lb zucchini, grated
  • 3/4 cup (soy) Parmesan cheese
  • 16 leaves of fresh basil (that is a direct quote)
The Process
  1. Cook pasta. While it is cooking, prepare for and complete step 2.
  2. Heat the butter (margarine) in a deep heavy pan over low heat until it is foaming. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes. 
  3. Drain cooked pasta and add it the to the sauce. Add the Parmesan and basil and toss well.

No comments:

Post a Comment