I got home from my internship a little early tonight so I was excited to be able to make a slightly more complicated dinner. By complicated, I mean I roasted my own red peppers. It is another slow cooker recipe, which I love. It is loosely based off of a recipe from Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way.
Roasted Pepper Pasta Bake
What You Need:
- 1 lb whole wheat elbow shells
- 1 large onion, diced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (soy) mozzarella
- 1 red bell pepper
- Savory (a seasoning that came with the spice rack) and black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta until it's chewy but not ready. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, put 1 tbsp olive oil in a heated pan. Cook onion and fennel seeds until onions are soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes and crushed garlic. Bring to a boil.
- Pour the tomato mix in a slow cooker. Add the pasta and mix. Top with the mozzarella. Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- 30 minutes before the pasta bake is ready, slice the red pepper. Place on aluminum foil with some olive oil. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Top the pasta bake with the roasted pepper and seasoning. Enjoy :)