Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring is Near!

The forecast for later this week is all upper 70's and sunny! I am so excited to start really working on my garden. I've been on the prowl for some pallets. I've been feeling extra college broke lately so I'm not quite ready to go buy some, but I just may end up doing that if I don't find any in the next couple of weeks.

I got home from my internship a little early tonight so I was excited to be able to make a slightly more complicated dinner. By complicated, I mean I roasted my own red peppers. It is another slow cooker recipe, which I love. It is loosely based off of a recipe from Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way.

Roasted Pepper Pasta Bake
What You Need:

  • 1 lb whole wheat elbow shells
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 tbsp fennel seeds
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup (soy) mozzarella 
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • Savory (a seasoning that came with the spice rack) and black pepper to taste
The Process:
  1. Cook pasta until it's chewy but not ready. Set aside.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, put 1 tbsp olive oil in a heated pan. Cook onion and fennel seeds until onions are soft.
  3. Add the diced tomatoes and crushed garlic. Bring to a boil. 
  4. Pour the tomato mix in a slow cooker. Add the pasta and mix. Top with the mozzarella. Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours. 
  5. 30 minutes before the pasta bake is ready, slice the red pepper. Place on aluminum foil with some olive oil. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 
  6. Top the pasta bake with the roasted pepper and seasoning. Enjoy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment