Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Best Meal Yet!

At least, that's what Chris said. I've been doing a lot more cooking lately, and I really only post our favorites to the blog. However, I would like to announce that in the month and a half that I've gone vegan and Chris has mostly been eating vegan meals we've lost a combined 23 pounds! That wasn't my goal but it is a welcome effect, especially with summer just around the corner.

Now, I'm sure you're dying to know what the best meal yet was. It was lentil tacos! I have made a lot of black bean tacos since becoming a vegetarian but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of making tacos with lentils, but they were delicious (thank you Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way!)! I'm ashamed of how many I ate in one sitting. Chris proclaimed that we need to make these tacos every week. Now, I'm not actually going to do that because eventually we'd get tired of them, but maybe bi-weekly. Here's the recipe, I took some liberties so it's not directly out of the book.

Lentil Tacos

What You Need:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed
  • 1 cup red lentils (our local Harris Teeter didn't have these, I found them at a health foods market)
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 1/2 cups salsa
  • tacos/tortillas
  • Whatever toppings you would like (this is not how it reads in the cookbook but seriously, that's all that's left) 
The Process:
          
       1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Soy cheese doesn't melt easily so I put the cheese in the     
            tacos and baked for 10 minutes. 

       2) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and sauté  
              for 5 minutes. Stir in lentils, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for 1 minute. Add broth, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.


          3) Stir in salsa. Divide among tacos. We topped ours with shredded spinach and vegan sour cream. 


Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment