Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Winner Winner, Tempeh Dinner!

We have tried a new vegan meal nearly every night for the past 7 days and Chris cast his vote for which one is blog worthy. He isn't vegetarian so I figure if he thinks they are delicious then the recipe must appeal to a larger audience than just us vegetarians/vegans.

The blog worthy recipe of the week is Tempeh Chili from Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way. I've largely ignored this cookbook but we've tried nearly all the recipes in my two favorites so it was time to give this one a shot. I'm so glad we did because this chili was super easy and way yummy!

Tempeh Chili

What You Need:

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
  • 12 ounces tempeh, cut into small cubes. (I didn't know this before my mom told me but tempeh is sold by the tofu. Even knowing this I had to look for it because it was closer to the lettuce, weird.) 
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 (28oz) can tomato sauce
  • 3-4 tbsp chili powder
  • 3 tsp dried basil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Cayenne to taste
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice
The Process: 
  1. In a skillet, sauté tempeh until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add remainder of ingredients (except rice) and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.

                               See, super easy! I topped it with vegan cheddar cheese. 



PS: I swear, one day I'll find my camera cord and post decent pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment