Thursday, February 9, 2012

Darn School

So I haven't posted in a while, I feel like a slacker. I guess because I wasn't posting as much I also slacked off in the vegan diet. School hasn't exactly been hard this semester but I recently started my hours at my internship which means I am now a lot busier. Less time to prepare lunch led to Papa John's pizza. Ugh. Chris and I looked at how much we spent eating out this week and decided to put that towards more groceries so for valentine's day we're having a completely vegan dinner AND vegan cheesecake!!! I can't wait to post how the cheesecake turns out!
This past week wasn't a total fail though. I made Kidney Bean Risotto one night which instantly became a favorite of ours. It was a little time consuming to make, but I may just be spoiled with my slow cooker.

Kidney Bean Risotto
What you need:

  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup brown rice
  • 2.5 cups vegetable stock
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced
  • 8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 15 oz can red kidney beans
  • 3 tbsp parsley
  • 3/8 cup cashews (our college budget didn't allow us to get cashews but it was still yummy)
The Process:

  1. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-bottom pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, then add the rice and stir until the grains are thoroughly coated with the oil.
  2. Add the stock and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed.
  3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a heavy-bottom skillet. Add the bell pepper and celery and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and the remaining garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes.
  4. Stir rice into the skillet. Add the beans, parsley, and cashews. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until hot. 
Ta Da!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment