Thursday, May 10, 2012

Softball Fuel

Now that I'm on my (9 day) summer break, I started cooking a little more. I've also gotten a little more experimental and cooked with quinoa and sweet potatoes tonight! Only my second time cooking with either of those ingredients. And it turned out wonderfully, if I do say so myself. I found the original recipe here at Good Life Eats, but it was a guest post by Some the Wiser, and of course I tweaked it some to suit my taste buds (I really don't like olives).

Sweet Chick Quinoa Wrap
What You Need:
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • black pepper to taste
  • Whole wheat flat bread/tortillas
The Process: 
  1. In a large pan, cook quinoa and nutritional yeast in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally. 
  2. Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes, or until soft. 
  3. Once the quinoa is finished cooking, add remaining ingredients to the large pan and simmer until all of the mixture is warm. Fill your wrap and enjoy! 

With the combination of carbs and fats, it was the perfect fuel for Chris before his community softball game. Sasha loves cheering for her daddy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment