Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Beginning

Friday, January 13th, my nutrition teacher issued an assignment. We each had to write just one paragraph about something we want to change in our lives during the course of the semester. I've been tossing around the idea of becoming a vegan for awhile and decided to take this as my challenge to finally take on this goal. Less than a year ago I became a full vegetarian after being a pescetarian (fish/seafood was the only meat I ate) for two years. I've decided to use this blog to record my successes and challenges. I'm also hoping it will keep me on track. Maybe I'll feel more drive to keep at it even if just three people are reading about my journey.

So with this goal in mind for the past five days, I have made my first step towards veganism. In my morning coffee for the past few days I have used almond milk in place of my usual 2% cows milk. Not going to lie, I think it tastes way better and my stomach seems to like it better as well! However, I have also comprised a short mental list of things I'm not I'll be able to give up as easily. So far I have...

  • Eggs: I know there are substitutes but I love to bake so we'll see how well they work.
  • Cream Cheese: I LOVE bagels with cream cheese. I have cut back but they are my little treat to myself when I go to study at the library (along with my Starbucks)
  • Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt: Because I am a broke college student, I only go out for these as a special treat, even more special than a bagel. I'm going to have to find a new special treat.
  • Chocolate: I'm a girl. It doesn't need more explanation than that. 
  • Butter Popcorn: I love my movie theater butter popcorn. I've tried plain popcorn and didn't like it, emphasis on plain. 
I'm sure I'll think of more along the way but these are the ones that immediately came to mind when I took on this challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment